View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
AeroModder
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltanbod View Post
Looking at the profile of your car,the transition from the windshield pillar to the side windows is very abrupt.Before i would go ahead and flush your side glass i would install tufts to your side windows and visualize the area of greatest turbulence and address that zone first.The windshield pillars would probably benefit from some vortex generators to reduce the size of the wake coming off the windshield.
They are, unfortunately, and the airflow patterns from watching raindrops isn't very clean. I was also starting to think about putting some rails on the A-pillars to direct the airflow over the windsheild rather than around the pillar (provide a splitter for the lateral flow).

Another definite is to get some more aerodynamic mirrors. I'm looking into the F1-style universal mirrors that'll bolt onto the door so I can clean up the A-pillars more.

Quote:
not tryin to be rude I just realized your mileage tyhat seems awful low for that tempo
Yeah, it's an automatic, and it's winter. If you take a look at my fuel log you'll see that my lowest tank was around 20 MPG on a really stormy week. I was also trying to keep up with a friend (who was leading me to his place), so I had to drive faster than I normally would, through heavy winds and rain.
I've been including every tank since I started the log, and some of them weren't pretty, so that brings the average down.

Though I did get a 26 MPG tank with some warm weather, and I've done some major work recently, so it should slowly start creeping up again.

I've also been using a K&N air filter to get a bit more power. But with my recent work, using the more restrictive Fram paper doesn't have as much of a negative affect anymore, and doesn't nearly have as much of a power loss as before. Keep an eye open and you should see it come up soon.