View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
morkys
EcoModding Lurker

Lowering my 01 Corolla...will 1.2-1.3" drop help aero?

I am planning to lower my car when I replace the struts. I have worn struts and I figure if I'm going to upgrade them, I may as well do a mild lowering too to improve handling. Just wondering if it will help my aerodynamics too. I have 195/60R 14 tires that are wider and taller than the stock 175/65R tires my CE came with, but lower than the height of the 185/65R tires than the S and LE models came with. My new tires (as of last year, this year newly installed on alloy rims)....are Evertrek HP from General...a Candian Tire exclusive tire, but basically just a slight variation of the Altimax HP). Also, the tread pattern is a nice smooth, non-blocky design and a stiffer H-rated tire with max 51 PSI. I'm experimenting with PSI. I have new alloy rims that are 1/2" wider than the stock tires, are lighter than the stock steel wheels w and they aren't smooth.

I LOVE the way the car handles with these tires/rims and the front strut brace I installed. I am hoping that lowering my car will help improve aerodynamics, and in particular, offset any of the negatives that the tire/rim combo may have cause, if any. I have to keep records and see how my MPG tracks. I hope to find a good balance.