View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #234 (permalink)
JRoque
EcoModding Lurker

Good list ecorsa!

Drawing from my extensive experience with 3PH motor specs amassed over the last....er... 2 weeks :- ) I can add these to consider when looking for a motor:

1. Light weight, aluminum (aluminium) frame if possible.
2. Rating: "vector" preferred, "inverter" could work. This is mostly related to the high insulation needed to spike the motor into delivery full torque at low RPM.
3. High speed rated bearings. Most industrial motors run at <3600 RPM and their bearings are rated for that speed also. Some can go higher but don't expect continuous >10K RPM
4. TEFC, totally enclosed, fan cooled or better. Yes, many DC motors have exposed commutators but dirt and water play a nice number on those. Drip proof might also work but TE or even wash down is better.
5. Double end shaft. Even if your controller will use flux vector with current sensors, you might need to measure RPM at the motor shaft. Or maybe you decide to mount a pulley there and drive a pump, etc.

Ok I'm out. Anyone else? and then back to Paul so he can tell us how close he is to posting the controller's power block...

JR