View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...MOTSOS

...More Of The Same Old Stuff.

...looks like merely a re-scupting of the current bug design.

I wouldn't discount it that badly.

Besides, that's the "Beetle" way, right? The timelessness is partly why we love the old Beetles!

One of my very first impressions of the NB from back when they came out was that rear seat headroom was woefully inadequate and that they should have been able to alter the roofline (ed zachary like new Prius did) to greatly improve it without hurting the design integrity, but the stylists won that battle and they built a car with a seriously compromised back seat. NNB proportions give me the impression they are addressing that concern.

In fact it was the lousy rear headroom that pretty much knocked NB off my potential new car list. (Yes, once upon a time I would have bought a new car or a fairly new used one)

Ford did a similar thing with the Taurus back in '98(?); when they did that totally oval redesign they TOOK AWAY back seat headroom in the name of exterior design. And I thought, how freekin stupid can these committees be- this is their bread-and-butter full-sized sedan and they're TAKING AWAY headroom for the sake of a rather dubious design direction?!? I KNEW they would come to regret it, and they did. I'll give them credit for doing a great job on the freshening it got when they made the lighting more angular and raised the roof.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 04-09-2010 at 02:18 AM..