View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
fatman57
EcoModding Lurker

Turbo and improved economy

ok - i know a turbo will only add to the load on my engine but hear me out...........

Correct me if I am wrong:

Valve overlap is there for 'scavenging' - this means there is a certain area of the revs of an engine in which the inlet manifold, exhaust manifold and degree of scavenging all come into effect and allows the engine to be really efficient (apparently acting like a 'supercharger' sucking old air out of and fresh air into the chamber).......

only thing is in normal driving it is very hard to keep the engine one speed so the tuning of the exhaust manifold and inlet manifold + scavenging are not used to their full effect.

A low application turbo I have been told can increase fuel economy @ partially open throttle (due to there being less pumping losses).

So my plan is to remove the scavenging on my engine altogether and use the turbo to do everything else. A small amount of exhaust gases should remain having a little Atkinson effect (plus decreasing the warm up time). I Will hopefully have much fewer bits of unburnt fuel being sent out the exhaust (also because since there is now no scavenging there is no chance of it going out the exhaust at the inlet phase as I am sure some of it does at the moment).

I can tune the turbo to do many cool things and will hopefully be able to tune it to idle well as well as giving me as much power as I can get when I need/want it.

Is this all BS or is there something worth working with here.........much obliged for any comments/advice.