View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 02:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
mythical numbers to avoid

I only came up with a few things to avoid, of course epa fuel mileage is one..as most of us under our own hoods knows.

Horspeower in general is another bad think to rely on..
I recently saw mention of "horsepower to weight" as a reminder how silly that number is: "horsepower"

I also wanted to share how I decipher a car...
ecomodder:
horsepower is often less than the torque.
mid range >4cyl:
horsepower is often squared up with torque.
race car:
horsepower exceeds the torque.

To give an idea how silly the hp number is...
my 90hp subaru at 2800 pounds can do a quarter in 15seconds as a 4x4...33.1 pounds of weight per horsepower..
the brand new 412hp mustang with just 8.8 pounds of weight per horsepwer is getting there just 2 seconds earlier...
something is way offset here...

and lastly, a figure from my dads rig..
500hp for 79,000 pounds is..158 pounds of weight per horsepower..and it will do 85mph+ loaded. I don't think a 500hp mustang could do that..

if you cannot decipher numbers for power on any given car, find out the engine and figure bore and stroke...
an inline needs a deep one in the same car weight as a boxer, in the four cyl category, the 6 and 8 can be little strokes and big bores, and vice versa, it does'nt matter..this is where weight of car comes into play...all while ignoring the hp, go by liters and weight, derive your own conclusion, with engine design, like diesel or gas etc...

that hp number is like a fantasy derived from drug addiction.