View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
They should get that Exploder, sell it to some other moron who enjoys having fuel tanks explode or tires randomly deflate, and buy a REAL vehicle.

SUV is a mistake, plain and simple. I get in my Father's Blazer (second vehicle) and I'm horrified by the lack of control that even I can feel in it. The vehicle is muted in every way possible, and rocks wildly through curves. Control? Nah... Not even close.

You want control, you should have driven my Civic, or my first Miata, or any of a fistful of other cars I've had that all handled like they were on rails compared to any other, larger, "safer" car on the road.

There's still the argument that less mass is safer because it's physically less likely to be in an accident altogether, as well...

Quicker steering, braking, throttle response and acceleration, better maneuverability, and the ability to make abrupt movements and have the response from the vehicle. None of those things will be found in an SUV.

I do have good things to say about some of the Chrysler minivans I've driven, though. I'd have been completely comfortable auto-x'ing my Caravan, for instance, and they can be had for a pittance compared to most SUV's.

Regarding 4x4 vehicles - I semi-agree that for most people, it's a status symbol, a crutch for lack of operational skill, etc. There are times when it's just nice to have, though. I use it in my truck when I go down into my Father's yard to drop off or retrieve a load of scrap metal. I could probably get down in there and back out w/o 4x4, but why tear up the yard first?

I do feel that many people think that AWD and 4x4 will make them safer in inclement weather, though. The fact is, 4x4 is for GOING, not STOPPING. Once you lose traction going, the other wheels help you go... if you lose traction stopping, the other wheels aren't going to kick in and help you stop!

Why else would it be called FOUR WHEEL DRIVE?