View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
jkp1187
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I also agree that it is better to have a small, light, agile vehicle and avoid the collision in the first place. HOWEVER, that is predicated by the need to have a driver who's head isn't up their asss. If piling into something else is inevitable, perhaps it is a good thing to surround oneself with more mass. I mean, good for the perpetrator of the "accident"- not anyone else.
Well, that's the point of my comments and others, I think. Assuming SUVs ARE indeed safer for its occupants, you're just transferring the cost of your bad driving onto other people on the road. Not exactly the best way to encourage someone to learn how to drive, nor a good rule for society.

But the truth is, whatever advantage SUVs may have in two vehicle accidents is negated by the possible injuries suffered in one-vehicle or two-vehicle accidents from rollovers. The studies I've seen (especially from the HIGH AND MIGHTY book I referenced earlier,) don't indicate any overall increase in occupant safety from driving an SUV.

Sure, you could rollover any car in the right circumstances. Easier to do it in an SUV, though. Give me a small car with a sturdy suspension and good brakes any day of the week.