View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #124 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
dcb asked if I can make it so non-reg'd visitors can post in the OG/MPGuino thread.
I ask because it was a sourceforge option, I cannot speak much to the wisdom of allowing completely anonymous posters, but there are some obvious concerns:

On the one hand some folks will have trouble registering here and won't be able to post, likely when they are trying to get help with something.

On the other hand the quality of the posts may suffer when allowing completely anonymous users to post.

P.S. Good job getting the freeduino together. It is quite a satisfying thing to get that little computer to do what you tell it, no? I showed it off to several visitors this weekend and they were duely impressed, also got it to wiggle a servo motor which was kind of cool.

I do think, getting it to do more than one thing at a time WELL is going to be an interesting challenge.

P.P.S. re communication, the serial version just uses a couple transisters to simulate rs232, it does not do any buffering or anything, so I think the atmega should only transmit (like a logging device), and not do any handshaking with the palm/laptop. Once a second it sends out 3 bytes for number of high cycles (24 bit unsigned integer), 3 bytes for total number of cycles(24 bit unsigned integer), and 2 bytes for vss tics(16 bit unsigned integer), and the palm/laptop, which probably has decent rs232 support, will have to collect the info at least once a second.

If the palm/laptop has to collect the data once a second but postpone the display update for 4 seconds or something, because the display update takes more than a second and there is no thread prioritization, then that's the way it has to be.

P.P.P.S. The obdgauge palm software seems to have a fatal flaw that I'm not keen on fixing at the moment, I will try and model the palm gui after the laptop version, though I will first try and get the laptop version to speak the once a second 8 byte receive only protocol described above. It's a lot easier for me to work on java than palm, and anyone working on the signal processing might want to debug the atmega without buying additional hardware.

Last edited by dcb; 03-30-2008 at 10:52 PM..