View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
A completely new sort of EV

I may need a reality check for my aspirations after writing this, but I hope there are those among ya'll that are a bit more versed in EV and the limitations and costs thereof than I am.

I have a straight 91 Explorer my wife and I love to death. It got horrid fuel economy, but in our rural neck of the world has proven itself very useful and a lot of fun. When the engine quit I at first intended to refit it with a diesel engine for better economy, but that is a bit pricey and complicated. I then thought why not make it electric? So now I have my set of goals and a few questions for ya'll to help me realign.

I want the final project to be able to burn off the tires if need be while being capable of decent economy. I don't want it to go faster than 60mph, but it needs at least to reach 50 due to local considerations. I'd like to keep it under $3000 and am capable of doing the majority of the labor. Considering the large vacancy that will emerge under the hood, I am considering installing a small generator to supplement the range if needed, or maybe additional batteries. And as it is a 4x4, which I want to keep, I was considering going for a pair of smaller motors which I can engage seperately for additional power/traction instead of using the transmission and transfer case. It currently has a burned out auto tranny, which I understand is not a great idea with the electric motor anyway.

Is it possible to attach a electric motor directly to the drivelines? Would it be more cost effective to keep the transfer case and use just one larger motor? Do I need a transmission or would an industrial gearbox do the trick? Would putting a 5 speed help with range and power compared to a static gear ratio? I read the 72 volts is as high as you want to go for the controller boxes before it gets pricey, so could I use 2 in tandem to run 2 seperate motors?

In my area there is only 1 electric car in use to my knowledge, and it is rather puny. There is a local folk gathering during the summer and there is a burnout competition in a parking lot, which is just for fun. I think it would be cool to enter it in an efficient EV that used to be one of the icons of the gas guzzling SUVs, a first year Ford Explorer. Imagine their faces if I were to brun the tires off with and electric motor. Most folks out here think electric cars are gutless oversized golf carts and I'd like to help change a few minds. And I'd like to still be able to go off roading in it, especially considering the abundance of opprotunity to do so in the Ozark Mountains.

How should I best go about this? What budget should I plan on? What is it likely to cost? Help me out with my dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.