View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
RTV = Room temperature vulcanization I don't think they use cork anymore on those types gaskets.... If your valve cover gasket can be made with RTV - the stuff is cheap (~$5 for a tube - likely cheaper than cork + no cutting). But, depending on design (not sure for your engine/VC) - there could be bolt gaskets. If so you'd have to buy a valve cover gasket "kit" (big box filled with a tube or two of RTV and a little baggie of bolt gaskets). I needed a kit for a Saturn SW2, which cost me something like $12 - not too bad for two tubes of RTV and custom gasket tubule thingers...

See if you can figure out where your PS pump is leaking.... If it's the actual pump, that'll need to be replaced somewhat soon. If it's a high pressure line - replace really soon. If it's the low pressure - it can wait a little longer. If it's just a fitting, that can wait a little too. The last thing you want is your pump to start blowing chunks into the rest of the system - plus rapid failure of the high pressure line sucks in a big way (a freaking mess - trust me) :/ If it's the pump, you may be able to service it yourself - typically there's just a bearing that needs replacing (this all depends on how confident you are with DIY repair).

For the oil leak... I don't know the design, but it sounds like there's a 90 degree elbow screwed on... Can the elbow be taken off and the oil filter be put right in it's place? If so, that's what I'd do. What's a few seconds of convenience at every oil change anyway? <-- I do 10K mile oil change intervals with oil analysis, so my changes are infrequent