View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Tom EV, thank you for the link. That is kinda what i was envisioning, a motor attached to the frame via steel trusses.

To help me determine the feasibilty, I'm playing with some math now. The truck originally came with a 155 hp (116 kW) engine. That being the standard, I just need to know what the equivalent electric motor would run. It may be made easier if I halved the requirements and split it between 2 electric motors that need not run at the same time.

Something else to consider is with that amount of horsepower I was capable of well over 75 mph, which is much faster than I intend to go with the EV incarnation. However, I'll be adding weight in the form of batteries, so the 116kW figure may need to stand.

Just for giggles, Im curious to know the weight of battery packs and HP figures for a few of these EVs on here. It seems I saw a figure for a 90 HP motor mentioned here somewhere, and that alone would likely do it. But other than that, i haven't anything to go on. I did read 23 pages of the DIY motor controller thread before my eyes started to bug out, but I learned a bit. What would prevent me from viewing this as 2 seperate EVs sharing the same frame?

I realize the potential for weighing a lot is great, hence why I'm considering having a generator for helping with the range. There's one with a 2800 watt rating on ebay for $400, and yes I realize that is far short of the 116kW I would need at max. But if I were to depend on it as simply a way to extend range, and be able to recharge whenever I stop, it could do it while burning much less fuel than the 15 mpg I was getting.

Why the Ford Explorer? For one, I already own it. I know that the body is solid and the rear diff especially is lusted after for its strength among 4x4 enthusiasts. And why do I need 4wd? I wish you could have been with me after we had a heavy rain. My dirt road was impassible by a car, but the higher stance and extra traction got me home. 90% of the time I don't need it, but the 10% of the time I do need it, it's indespensible. While it may be very bricklike, it also has a ton of room for batteries, generators, kids, dogs, camping gear, etc.

But I suppose the biggest thing is that it hasn't been done by a DIY sort that I know of yet. And while a smaller car being made to an EV is more practical, an SUV made to an EV would turn more heads in this neck of the woods. I may have to do this in stages. If I can get it to putt putt it's way to town for the time being until I can get a stronger (or second) motor, so be it. I'm confident it's possible, but there are too many unanswered questions in my head right now to know where to begin. From what I'm told about electric motors, torque is not a problem. So it may be more feasible than we think. I know in the UK they have electric milk trucks, and I'm sure they are quite heavy. But they manage to use them somehow.

I know it's a crazy idea. But so was putting vehicles to be assembled on a conveyor belt instead of on the floor, and it seemed to serve Henry Ford alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.