View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I apparently have a curb weight right around 4k lbs. What the weight would be after deleting engine and transmission etc then adding batteries is a mystery, but it could push 5k lbs I suspect. Someone posted a link to evalbum.com and it made for interesting reading. For sure, what I'm wanting to do will be a challenge, especially on a budget. This link here Jim Donovan's 1992 Ford Ranger XLT has a Ford ranger of similar vintage to my Explorer, and I believe they share several components.

I came to realize the hugely high cost that could be incurred by building this as solely an electric car, so I'm starting to hedge toward making it a hybrid, with the motor pushing one of the axles. Would it be better to drive the front or rear with an ICE though? The front car be disengaged on the fly, but the rear would constantly be going. I suspect I could get the 4 cylinder motor available for the Ranger to fit in the Explorer fairly easily, which could potentially improve my economy, and I would still have the electric motor for power assist and slow driving. I suppose if I made the ICE run the rear wheels and I put in a fuel pump kill switch, I could easily roll start the thing when needed and make it more of a hybrid.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.