View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
TheEnemy
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
CO,that's a good question.
What I've observed,is that if I do not remove some of the heat flux from the cooling system on the ascent,and then pull into a filling station and park;once the engine is turned off ,the coolant will boil out into the over-flow receiver,with some spilling to the ground.Bad!!!!!!!!!! Ethlyene glycol Bad!!!!!!!! It makes me feel like a *%&$#@)(+_<>?@#!
This is at 8600-feet at Cloudcroft,NM where baro pressure is reduced.If I run the heater fan,the problem goes away.
This used to happen to me close to sea-level in my El Camino with the 396 c.i. big-block,say,waiting in line at a drive-in theater in Van Nuys,Calif.This is probably where I used the trick for the 1st time.I'd blame my girlfriend.
I know that road, its pretty hard on the cooling system. Used the heater many times during the summer to keep the engine from getting too hot. But I usually only need to just keep the rpm up to move more water.

One thing you might consider is seeing if you can find a high flow water pump, they are supposed to help even when the engine rpm is lower.