View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #1368 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Yes, and my engine is overheating as well.

For whatever reason, with no input, both those gauges max out. I looked into seeing what I would have to do to make them into a volt and amp meter, but they need some sort of weird input of a real specific between such and such.

For anyone else building an EV, see if it's possible to repurpose your existing gauges!
Actually Ben, I've thought about that one as well. I'm not sure why yours are all maxed, mine are all zero. But I was contemplating simply connecting the temp sensor directly to the motor in a key area so that I can get an idea of its temperature. Another possibility is placing it somewhere on the controller. The main problem I see with that is that those sensors were made to detect liquid temp, so I'm not sure how accurate they would be with surface temp; but then again, it doesn't have to be super accurate, just give a general idea. I forget what you did with your Geo engine, but for what it's worth the sensor is that brass piece bolted to the top of the intake manifold right under the throttle body.....
Oh, and by the way, VERY jealous of the cool tablet computer....