View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
JohnMcD348
EcoModding Lurker

I don't need alot of things but I prefer the safety of my vehicle and the ability to carry and travel where I need to, when I need to. I'm 6'3", 270lbs. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned that I fit comfortably in and did not have to push the seat all the way back and lift the steering wheel high. It does spend most of it's time on the hard paved roads and I will admit that I do have to drive it through an off side dirt road every couple of months just to keep the 4x4 in service but...

I have been involved in 3 separate vehicle accident since buying this truck, non of which were my fault. I had a fellow in Civic hybrid(ironically) rear end me one night while trying to draft(His words) and was unable to stop quickly enough. End result, I had to replace my trailer hitch and rear bumper, his civic, totaled. Air bags deployed, engine broken, front end crushed. The truck was only 6months old at the time and had less than 5000 miles on it. Recently, I had a person decide to change lanes without looking and ran the length of my side of the vehicle. There was minor paint damage, 1 dent, and a scratched rear bumper. My bumper caught the skin of his Altima at the rear door and ripped the skin off all the way up to the front fender. It even damaged one of the side impact rails on the door. I barely felt it or heard anything. 2 months after getting it back from the body shop I had someone in an older model Lexus literally run under my rear wheels. I ran over their car hood just forward of their front tires and did no damage to my vehicle at all. I barely felt the bump when it happened.

So, the question, do I need it, no. Do I value my life and the life and safety of my family, Yes. Do I want to get the most out of my vehicles and keep them running a peak performance for the best possible use of fuel. Yes.