View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #85 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
There aren't any E85 stations anywhere near here, so i rarely have a chance to use it. And the prices I quoted were from the same station. The regular may very well have had E10, idk. But where I live, you can't harldy find gas with ethanol in it, much less E85. In fact, some stations advertise ethanol free gas.

It is possible, even likely, that the price difference has changed and i just haven't a clue about it. It seems you came up with a very similar figure as i did, however, I generally go by 20 mpg when figuring mileage simply because that had been my running average since replacing the engine. And it may have been a lot of highway miles, but in Arkansas, it is difficult to get highway economy due to the hills and corners. Now that the engine is "broke in" I think it is getting better economy, but haven't been able to check lately.

Nect time I get a chance I'll get E85 and take better notes. I've been wracking my brain for all the details the past couple days, but i'm plumb out. I do remember needing to get 17 mpg and just barely exceeding the goal.

I know the old girl had a bit more get up and go on the E85, which is why I liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.