View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 01:38 PM   #252 (permalink)
frodus
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
I spent $50 on it.

It is about as big a motor as would fit in a Metro. It does turn freely. I put a 12 volt emergency jump starter pack on it with a little spare battery cable from the motorcycle connecting two of the four power connectors on the motor. It made the motor spin.

I like the idea of some sort of regenerative braking. I will have to contact some other EVers and see what would be needed to make that work. It's a really interesting idea.

I have not had this motor open yet. I will need to de-grease it and pull the end off to take a look at the brushes and everything.

I know a lot of these old forklifts were highly abused, but were very well built.

The main problem is that I can't even lift this thing. It must be 150 lbs easy.
I should be able to roll it around my garage and take some bolts out of it.

I am really busy this next week, I may not get to work on this motor for a while - too many other projects going on right now!
well, it looks like a series motor, and you can't get regen out of it with the controllers out there. The issue is, you have to reverse the field current... you can do it with sepex motors because they have field terminals on the controller that handle the reversing. You can't do that on a series motor. Maybe look around to see if people have worked on getting regen out of a series motor... but I haven't found anything yet.