View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroModder View Post
That's the same location and orientation they have in Tempos. That battery relocation kit is starting to sound a lot better...
Not to jack the thread, but check your Tempaz to see if you can put a battery between the bumper and the core support. I had two Honda 51R batteries (88-95 Civic's used them, as well as others) in mine in that area where the condenser used to be. They're only like 4-5 inches thick, and both of mine were wired in parallel so they were still 12V together. I just bolted two trays onto the lower core support and strapped them on bent steel straps bolted to the trays. It's a pain to service the batteries, but it puts the weight much lower than the OE location. My particular Topaz (Canadian "Sport" model) never suffered from too much nose dive while braking, so I was comfortable putting them there.

You may also find a good location for a hefty battery in the trunk, on either side of the car, but you may have to make custom side access panels. (Coroplast bends nicely to fit in those areas.)