View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #88 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
in theory your engine should be irrelevant. You can not extract more energy than what is available. E85 has at least 35% less ENERGY thank Regular Gas does so it "must" give you at least 35% less fuel economy. (unless an E85 specific engine can be more efficient than a gas engine???) maybe thats possible I really don't know. but I do know that in a designed for gas engine you SHOULD see a 30-35% drop in FE with E85 unless they are not running TRUE E85. would be interesting to get a test kit and measure the Ethanol content of the E85.

Yeah what you saw was the reduced efficiency of the winter blend gas. You did not see the same drop in the E85 because IT IS winterized so to speak. IE they don't have to do anything special to E85 in the winter so you get the same FE. This is why the equal FE does not hold into summer. Once your on summer blend then your getting the "right" FE.

I would love to see if you get the 23 rated mpg by getting the ethanol free gas for a few weeks. Would make for some good data for sure!

I have a feeling your data is distorted a little. IE your doing more Highway miles on the E85 and more CITY miles on the E10 which would cloud the difference.

I say this because you mentioned that the E85 was over 100 miles away from you which tends to mean you were doing "highway miles" when you used it.