View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
payne171
EcoModding Apprentice

Gray Jellybean - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 62.76 mpg (US)
to each his own

I don't know how things are around other parts, but here around Columbus, Ohio, rich people don't buy Hummers. People who want others to think they are rich and are willing to spend an inordinate portion of their disposable income to encourage those thoughts drive Hummers. Oh yeah, and rednecks. Wealthy people in central Ohio drive entry level luxury cars and/or SUV's. I'll give them a pass on the SUV because I have lived through 33 Ohio winters now. The truth is, I don't much have a problem with a Hummer because it is a new enough vehicle that it is likely in proper working order with a modern emissions system. Yes, I would rather they used a bit less carbon emissions, but there are almost as many Iroc Z's in the road around here as an episode of Jersey Shore. Or any older car for that matter. My wife's car is a Wrangler Unlimited, which isn't a particularly efficient auto, but my wife is an RN, and she doesn't get to call work and say, "I can't make it; the roads are too bad."
That's my rambling way of saying sometimes 4wd is necessary, and that even the vilified Hummer is often a better choice than the old civic with worn out o2 sensor and a gutted cat. converter.