View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
comptiger5000
Master EcoModder

RaceJeep - '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 5.9 Limited
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
I believe that the 5.9 could definitely do better than the 5.2, as long as it hasn't been tuned for regular (normally needs premium). It has great low end torque, so you can keep the RPMs down on acceleration easily (with shifts at 2200, it flies past most cars off the line). With the stock tune, it has pretty aggressive timing, so it not only makes more power, but can be more efficient. Too bad most of my driving is around town (12 - 13 mpg). When I go away to college in the fall, and have a few several hour highway trips, I'll know for sure what my highway mileage comes out to. From what I've seen so far, it's about 1 mpg less than my mom's 99 WJ 4.0, almost equal with lots of hills (less downshifting). It's certainly not bad for an offroad capable, overpowered brick on wheels.

And yeah, stock ZJ brakes suck. They're the same as XJs (about 1000 lbs lighter) and TJs (slightly lighter), but on a bigger, heavier vehicle. For towing, trailer brakes are needed, and a Vanco brake kit would be nice (but very expensive).

Typical driving: Back in Rochester for school, driving is 60 - 70% city