View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,226 Times in 4,653 Posts
Glove

The boat tail on my CRX was like a glove.
The unit was fabricated 'on' the car and 'slipped' on or off as requirements dictated.
The holes where the original deck spoiler mounted received 'riv-nut' 1/4 -20 fastener heads which go on like a pop-rivet.
The unit had an electrical umbilical just like a trailer for the lights,was slipped on after the license plate was repositioned onto the tail,then fastened at the hatch location,and also at the rear wheel openings into the rear fascia,sharing screw fasteners( backed by speed nuts) with the rear wheel skirts.
The downside was the loss of access to the hatch when installed,which could have been engineered for.I was just willing to load things in and out through the doors on trips.
I used felt to cushion the attachment point against the car's finish.
After a number of locals crashed their shopping carts into the car I cared less and less about the car's appearance.I had paid cash for it and didn't have to worry about pleasing anyone or maintaining a 'factory' look.
The receiver-hitch is a nice way to go.Also,there are some really nice ( and strong ) bicycle racks which would make good non-permanent tail attachment possible.Just keep the weight down.