View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
I was reading around in the Maxima forum and came across something that I thought ya'll would also find funny.
Quoted from Maxima.org
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlkMax
"I was wondering what are upgrades that we can do better our gas mileage?

Does intake help? "

You want to modify the car to get better gas mileage? Good luck. I'm sure someone here has an effective, cheap way to do better than Nissan and their hundreds of thousands of dollars spent employeeing engineers and technical experts to do things like research and development to maximize the efficiency of their vehicles in light of stricter fleet fuel regulations tougher competitors in the market.

I almost laughed my butt off at the irony of those words. I wonder if this is a common misperception in the general public?

Wonder if they would freak that I coud get the mileage I get with nearly no mods, other than a partial hot air intake
What irony?

Manufacturers strive to make what customers will buy. Even though there are many models to choose from, each model still must have broad enough appeal to be worth the investment to build. Most of the time, fuel economy is not a top priority for customers. Mfgs also have to conform to govt regs., some of which influence fe. All manufacturers have known how to build 1L type vehicles for decades but evidently the business cases for making them hadn't been made.

That said, I do fault the mfgs for not being as pro-active re: fe as they could have been.