Thread: wake reduction
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygen1 View Post
I see they extended the decklid with the giant wing...but are you saying the wing helped with drag reduction?
Tygen,what caught my eye,was both the fairing at the top of the backlight which softens the curvature off the roof allowing 'clean' air to strike the wing,both above and below,and the boot extension,which runs straight back as far as the end of the bumper.
This is kind of a permutation of the Merkur XR4Ti bi-wing spoiler,where they look to manage the separated flow both high and low.
If the wing was just symmetrical,with no induced lift,It could serve as a re-attachment point and work to
'sculpt' the wake a bit.
I found an article on the 1988 Holden Commodore VL SS Group ASV by Tom Walkinshaw who created 18-aero add-ons for the car,dropping Cd from 0.43,to 0.32.
He extended a rear spoiler as far as the bumper and raised it about 7.5-inches ( 187.5 mm ) at the trailing edge.He also extended the C-pillars back to it to create the 'birdbath on the boot' also used on the Mustang GT.
The extreme spoiler on Mike Murillo's Pro-Stock '93 Mustang notchback,is as long as the trunklid itself,projecting straight back with zero upsweep.
And for protection to pedestrians,you just put a couple of SIMPSON drag chutes under it,sticking out a little bit.
If that doesn't 'man-it-up' enough,then I don't know what will!