View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
jkp1187
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokalazeros View Post
Once, I had my car at the local german-car garage, when this lady come in and tell the guy:''Could you check my car please, the tire-pressure light came on!!!'', like it was the end of her world.
I'd bet she didn't even know what model her car (''doesn't matters, it's a bmw'') was, and she probably don't know how to open the hood for that matters.

I'll take the older model with all these useless things like the *working* temp gauge, the gauges with real needles and an oil dipstick way before I get one of those new, huh, car-for-the-people-that-dont-care-how-it-work, even if I had the money.
He probably made a few bucks that day greasing the exhaust and re-filling the blinker fluid, in addition to topping off her tires with nitrogen.

I actually HAVE a car that has replaced the oil dipstick with an electronic sensor. On the plus side, I usually check the oil level once a day now, while waiting at a stoplight, as opposed to once every fillup. Still, when I'm changing the oil and filling it up, I really miss the dipstick.

There's no transmission dipstick, either, but there isn't one in my wife's car, either.

I wonder if the trend toward no dipsticks being led by European carmakers also has something to do with environmental regs in Europe...?