View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I am serious about doing it but it is for fun rather than science. But it will be an interesting project I think.

Lowering is an option, however its already quite low (chrome bumper, not rubber) and it already risks grounding on speed humps. IMHO speed humps are badly named as they don't make me go any faster.

Made a rough plan - starting at the front. First step will be no bumpers and Sebring style valance - quite smooth and rounded. Oh, by chance I already have one. Also clear, flush covers for the headlights. Not sure about a grill block as coolling in a B is marginal in warm weather anyway - when it did last run I had to wait in the local supermarket for 30 mins whilst it coolled down to restart on a warm day. It may be worth part-blocking it or looking into something else here. I may look at a spoiler though if stability is an issue, the OC one is soft plastic. Otherwise I will leave it off.

Moving back the wipers are only needed for the MOT so they can come off after that. Mirrors can be 60s racing stylee - I only need a drivers (right hand) one anyway for the MOT. The rear I will leave bumperless and I may try smoothing the bits underneath the rear lights to the bumper area to smooth flow.

I can't see an easy way of removing the guttering (raid drip tray) around the roof - I can see that being the biggest drag.

Wheels are Rostyles (yeah ) which are getting rare here so may be sold for funds. I have some older steelies too so I may go for flat covers and/or rear spats.

The underside is aero dirty until the B pillar where the floor starts. After that it is smooth except for the cross members. The area fore of this is quite dirty but I may look at smoothing it between the front valance, the engine cross member and the floor, and boxing in the floor itself. The rear is reasonably smooth with the tank fitted.

Some lightening has been done by the cheapskate use of fibreglass wings (have you seen how much a new GT wing is these days ) and no trim, carpet etc. inside.

Single carb conversion may be a runner though. The Austin 1800 had the same engine with a single carb so there will be a manifold / carb combo somewhere for it. The only possible fly in the ointment is that the 1800 was FWD (also designed by the chap in the pic on the left) - think big mini with gears in the sump - so it may not fit under the low bonnet (hood). The engine does not have a lot of power anyway and needs overhauling really. Apart from this the mechanics are OK-ish - the overdrive works (or worked) as did the clutch and the axle was quiet. Front suspension needs an overhaul (I have polybushes to fit) but the rear has new springs and bushes in. The steering is OK. The dampers (lever arm - urgh) need overhauling but I will try emptying, flushing, new oil, pumping a lot, flushing again etc. until the oil is cleaner.

Initial idea will be to get it back on the road in basic form (bumperless though) and do some coasting tests in standard form and start the mods later.

Of course a lot of this allows me some 'bodging room' on the bodywork as my skills are mostly lacking in getting it to good classic condition. But the rat-look with some mods sounds interesting.

Cheers

A.