View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
VegasDude
See ya at the next light!

Slowest. Altima. Ever. - '05 Nissan Altima SE
90 day: 45.91 mpg (US)
Altima SE V6--best tank: over 40 mpg!

34 MPG in a sedan isn't all that much, but it's an improvement of 36% over my previous combined average by changing only the way I drive.

Recently my job took away the free company car and I haven't had a raise in three years. I could keep the car and pay for it, but I calculated that it would be cheaper to drive my own car even at my average of 22-25 MPG combined. BTW, the company car is a GMC Envoy that averages 15 MPG, but it was free so I used it.

In addition to paying for my all my own gas now, my car needs new tires and brakes very soon. I need to save money. So after filling up the last tank I decided to really push it. On the drive home I turned off the engine as I approached red lights and left it off all the way down long hills. I accelerated lightly, and keep the speed to a max of 45 mph. When I got home the mileage computer indicated 43 MPG.

I've been using the same techniques on my drive to and from work and I've managed to maintain 34 MPG on an 11 mile city commute with 20 traffic lights each way. To minimize stops and take full advantage of traffic patterns, I drive different routes to and from work. Luckally, I never have to drive during rush hour. I still need to fill up and calcuate the actual MPG, but I've found the mileage computer to be very accurate. Usually it under-estimtes if anything.

To summarize:
2005 Nissan Altima SE
3.5L V6
190.6 miles
34.1 MPG (so far)
6 hours, 18 minutes
Average speed: 30mph (Includes time stopped at lights)

I still need to: Add pressure to the tires, clean out the trunk, change the oil.
In the coming weeks the temperature will get unbearable without A/C, and I think hypermiling this car will get tougher.

Last edited by VegasDude; 06-29-2010 at 04:24 AM..