View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.41 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
I've driven the Nissan Leaf

Nissan UK have taken the prototype and a test car around the UK for the last couple of weeks and now it's off on it's way through Europe.

One of the drivetrain prototypes was available to test drive around a small course that Nissan had laid out, so I had a go. Probably drove it for less than a kilometer in total but it was nice to a) finally drive an EV and b) drive one of the most important EVs coming to market.

Photos first, then impressions:

The concept car:

The test car:

The test car you'll recognise as a Nissan Tiida. We don't get them in the UK but they're on sale in most LHD markets I think. This one has had the floorpan extended and Leaf EV running gear installed. As you can see, the transmission tunnel is quite high too, presumably for electronic gubbins.

What did I think? I enjoyed it a lot. Response is fantastic and incredibly smooth - exactly as you'd expect with 200lb ft of torque from zero revs. It's quiet, smooth and nippy. Other than that, there's not a lot to say - it's just like driving a normal car, only with a completely different powertrain. Which is really exactly how it should be. People will never buy EVs if they feel weird to drive, so essentially the Leaf drives like any other car, just much, much smoother and quieter.

Further impressions can be found in my blog, here: http://tarmac-automotive.blogspot.com/

I'll put a video up later as soon as I've uploaded it. Nissan record every drive and then give you it straight away on a cool little USB stick:

Thoughts? Questions?

EDIT:

Vid of me driving the car:

Last edited by AJI; 04-30-2010 at 04:19 PM..