View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #75 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
4 pints to a quart
4 quarts to a gallon
16 ounces is a pound, but it is also a unit of measure, ie 2 cups. How many teaspoons in a 1/4 cup again? If they ask for 2/3 a teaspoon, how much is that? I went a mile, which is 5,280 feet, 1760 yards, and 63360 inches.

Too many odd numbers.
1 cm is 1/100th of a meter. 1000 cc is one liter, right? I think a cc=a mL. If I go 1.5 km, I know instantly it's 1500 meters and 15000 cm and 150000 mm. A gram is 1/1000th of a kilogram, and isn't the weight of the gram tied into a certain displacement of water?

It's simple, and I like it. Even though I rarely ever use it, I understand it pretty well, and can correctly use it daily. The SAE standard I use every day, and yet I still sturggle with it and have to dig out the calculator to figure things out that should be easily sorted. SAE is insanity, metric is orderly and thought out.

0 degrees farenhiet is the temperature of a nearly frozen sea, while 100 is the temperature of the blood of a freshly killed elk (or some such like that)

0 celcius is freezing temp of water and 100 is the boiling point of water.

I think the SAE system came about in a attempt to keep the poorly educated ignorant of certain facts so they could easily be taken advantage of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.