Thread: Oh Hello
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 05:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
OfficeLinebacker
EcoModding Apprentice

Oh Hello

Hi. Intro thread.

I am a 33 yo self employed IT consultant who spent 5 years as a mechanic at a service station while I was dropped out of college. 3 of those were full-time, then 2 were part when I went back to school.

I love all things DIY. I mod my HVAC system, my computers, my attic, my bathrooms, my garage, and of course my cars.

Buying my house 5 years ago was a dream come true, as my home truly is my castle, and I run it the way I want to.

Enter a wife and stepkid 2.5 years ago, and getting caught up in a way too stressful work environment, and then leaving my job, and having a readjustment crisis.

Now I have chilled way out on the house thing, but I still do all my automotive work and computer work.

I've always been fascinated with efficiency, and I've always known that at highway speeds, the number one detriment to MPG is wind resistance, so I have been experimenting with that lately.

While recovering from septoplasty, in pain and insomniac, I happened upon this little corner of the internet and realized I had finally arrived. That's right now BTW, so forgive my ramblings. It's the pain, not the codeine--there isn't enough of that.

In an ideal world, I'd have the time and the guts to set my cruise control around 40 MPH every where I go, but in the real world, that would get me pulled over or worse. Since time == money, my main focus is ways to reduce the drag at ~70MPH.

Other than that, I turn of my engine at long stoplights or while deccelerating downhill, always anticipate the next traffic light, etc etc. But I am dying to get my hands dirty with some aero mods on my pair of 2000 Camrys, a V6 an an I4.

Guess that's it.