View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 03:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
texanidiot25
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
It's functioning! Cap, rotor, plugs, and adjusting the valves and now the little guy runs great. No more missfiring, and can be driven at wide open throttle. The only vacuum leak (on a motor with over 50 vacuum lines!) is the carburetor base gasket, so just have to track that down and it's all good. But the car runs excellent otherwise, I can't wait to get it legal and on the road.

Also replaced the header panel as well, and spray painted it blue for the time being. Again, the car will eventually be white.

Still ugly, but will worry about tidying it up later.

Only 2 or 3 of the valves were really out, the others were in spec pretty well. Much quieter now though! You can barely hear it running. Timing belt was in good shape, so no need to bother with putting on the new one.

Look at duh wittle carburetor, it's soooo cute! Fingers are there for size comparison. Glad I don't have to dive into this one, they seem to be more complex than even the Q-Jet, and VACUUM LINE HELL!

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues