View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
DonR
Master EcoModder

The Wife's Hot Rod - '09 Pontiac G8 GT
Last 3: 23.22 mpg (US)

Big Outback - '13 Subaru Outback 2.5i

Little Outback - '02 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
Driving habits & mile reduction through route planning should net sizeable gains.

I have seen ladder racks added to trucks with caps. No idea how they did it though. It may be a plate that goes all around the bedrail & sticks out to weld the rack to. You could then put the cap on top of the plate. The rack could be made from streamlined tubing or tubing with a streamlined cover.

You could make an aero box the ladders can slide into from the rear & a latch to prevent ladders from sliding out. A little tubing & some aluminum flashing riveted to it should work nicely. The entire box could come off when not needed.

If you don't need or want the cap, the above is of course pointless.

Banks Engineering makes some products that can help with MPG from the engine. A fellow here at work installed it onto his Dodge ('04 or 4) & he picked up 3 to 4 MPG (avg. on fill tank method) during his normal commute. Picked up a couple when hauling 5th wheel as well. Banks things are expensive but very well made. Whether you would ever recoupe the cost I depends on how many miles you drive.

Using the block heater year round, when possible, will help with warm up.

I assume the truck has mud flaps. Someone makes low drag mud flaps, essentially made from a mesh that claim to reduce drag & increase rearward visibility in rain by reducing spray. I will have to look up the companies name unless someone comes up with it first.

Don