View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #32 (permalink)
tjts1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
The 2006 Scion xB automatic is rated 26/31 v. the manual's 26/30. Does anyone, including tjts1, seriously think an automatic Scion is going to approach the 45.9 mpg I've gotten from my manual over the past 12,770 miles? I'd be happy to top low 40 mpg average, long term, with an automatic in the same vehicle.
Give the same type of driving and modifications you have, it will beat your mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...once they're in "lockup" it's simple axle-ratio(A) vs. axle-ratio(M).
Exactly. The newer more efficient automatics can use taller ratios than the manual counter part. They can get away with this because the automatic is willing to shift gears for acceleration more easily than the manual driver would, hence the higher fuel economy. Its about how you drive. Given the same efficient driver, the auto is more efficient in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LeCouch View Post
My fiancee's Honda Fit auto gets okay mileage. About 30 combined. It shines on the highway since the 5th cog brings the highway RPM's down to ~2100 at 60 mph. The manual version is buzzing around 3000 RPM at the same speed.

Around town you have to drive it carefully since it wants to downshift at every little touch on the DBW accelerator. I've managed 42 mpg over 5 miles of dense city traffic before, without using many hypermiling techniques beyond driving sanely and timing lights. She gets about 27 mpg for the same trip.
Bingo!

Last edited by tjts1; 05-04-2010 at 10:01 PM..