Thread: Super MPGuino?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 03:40 AM   #94 (permalink)
gtkid2002
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bug - '69 Volkswagen Bug Base
Well, the Fiat is kind of not working anymore, so it's back to the prelude, and back to the project. I should be able to start really digging in a couple weeks from now, but I'm at least going to be starting on it again.

On the Fiat though, there was a mechanical Bosch ?-type injection system, and a vane type MAF sensor. But it didn't measure density, and it would cause my car to sputter badly if I cornered fast enough. (Gotta love gravity and its ways) MPG wasn't pretty either, as the two times I was able to top off the tank after I got it (Fuel pump D/Ced and I lost around 10 gallons of gas. Was not happy) I only ended up with 19mpg around the city. So I tried to baby it a bit more, shift at 2.5krpm, keep to the slow lane (not a problem, thing was louder than hell anywhere over 50mph), and was easy on the gas. Got 18mpg. Not sure how that happened.

Then a few days ago I "magically" get five nails and five staples in my two rear tires. Not a single one in either of the front two tires. Seems like sabotage, but I didn't even park that day. Hell, it was only out of the garage for an hour to drop some people off then go home so I could sleep.

But I'm back to the Prelude now. Rod knock or not, I have no other vehicle to drive right now. And now I don't have to worry about someone slashing my rag top, having wet/moldy seatbelts, worrying about cornering in a RWD car (Yes, it makes a difference. I almost flipped it on the second day I really started driving it), worrying about getting siphoned, etc.

No clue on my mpg right now on the prelude. I can't fill up, so I'm going by my tried and true method of driving till the low fuel light first comes on, which means I have 2 gallons left, or roughly 50-60 miles, depending on how frequently I use the fuel cutoff.

On a side note, anybody know how much my Drag Coefficient goes up when I use my flip-up headlights?

1969 VW Bug - Daily Driver
1975 VW Baja - Current Project
Priors:
1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (RIP)
1995 Honda Prelude Si (Traded)
1980 Fiat Spider 2000 (Sold)