View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
I think you're there

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I don't see why this should be impossible. My Insight gets over 70, using an inherently inefficient IC engine. Replace that with a more efficient turbine or Stirling engine, make it a plug-in with the powerplant running at constant load, and you're there.

Even with its current IC engine, there are periods of cruising on the level where the lean-burn kicks in, and mpg goes well over 100. Add enough battery capacity to handle acceleration and stay in lean-burn most of the time, and you're close.
James,the 1st-gen Insight has 27-Bhp,yes?
At cruise speed on an open highway at 70 mph your road load should be in the neighborhood of 15.4 horsepower.( your Cd and frontal area is similar to my CRX at Chrysler Proving Grounds ).
This should have your engine operating close to it's peak BSFC,and aprox. 40 % efficiency.I doubt that your electric motor is doing the work.Let me know,I only test-drove one,never owned one.
I don't know of any company pursuing Sterling cycle or turbine anymore.Chrysler,GM,and Volvo had active turbine programs but no longer.
GM abandoned their Sterling R&D decades ago.
If you could get the engine to tolerate 1300-1500 degree F temps,you could completely lose the cooling system and have the Adiabatic Compound Turbo engine of 0.29 Lb/Hp-hr BSFC,the highest efficiency engine possible within thermodynamic boundaries.
Not even that will get you to the numbers being pushed around.
I might be missing something.Believe me,senior moments are a reality!
There are very few rocks which have not been turned over in the pursuit of higher efficiencies.
There are remarkable concept engines which were constructed with zero budget constraints however mass-production and economies of scale won't even affect raw material costs.So say the folks who follow the industry for a living.