View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
1-liter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
What about this, then?

Didn't the 1st-gen 1-liter car get around 257-mpg?
Darin or someone,perhaps you,posted the road-test of this car.Everything was sacrificed for economy.Yes? And it had glacial acceleration?
I would drive it in a heartbeat,although my fellow motorists might tie me behind it and drag me to death for impeding their travel.
My mini-hypercar is kind of a 3-wheel version of this,utilizing the major portion of a motorcycle married to a roll-cage/front suspension/teardrop-taper body with some side-intrusion protection and storage compartments for daily shopping,etc..
This 1st-gen car,at Cd 0.159 is 'cleaner' than the 2nd-gen VW at Cd 0.195,but marketing folks might be scared off by the organic form and all that it implies.I don't know.
If powered for 0-to-60 mph in say 12-seconds and 80-mph cruise,she might sell to 'freaks' in Texas.The James Bede Cars remain a 'Club' car,but I've only seen two on the road since 1980.
There again,public education could turn a corner for us.You just have to decouple teacher retirement pension funds,along with municipal,county,and state government's from gas-guzzlers, the oil companies who feed the guzzle,and all the other ancillary industries and government coffers fed by fuel waste.
When ignorance is de-incentivized,we are free to educate.
P.S. we need to make the distinction between the frontal area of the 1-liter car and Jame's Insight.For a vehicle of 18.5 sq-ft frontal area to get 257-mpg does require magic.

Last edited by aerohead; 05-06-2010 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: P.S.