View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
trikkonceptz
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
F-250 Dually Diesel - Considering Electric add on

Hey guys,

At my disposal now I have a 2003 F-250 Dually, diesel. In the coming months I will be working on it slowly to bring it back to its mechanical greatness and eventually put it back on the road to see what kind of numbers one can dial out of this type of truck.

Regardless today I was considering the following;

What if I added an electric motor to help drive the rear wheels once the truck was moving or possibly to get it into a roll.

The how is what I want to ask about ... Fabrication aside, would it be possible to attach a transfer case to the drive shaft closest to the rear axle and attach an electric motor to the transfer case?

Its the same prinicipal as a 4wd to the front, my only concerns are about the gearing inside the transfer case and how to engage the electric motor once the vehicle is rolling etc ... Also, I am not sure how many neutral drops the automatic transmission can handle before I have to scrap it and switch to a manual ..lol

Has this approach ever been taken?

Thanks ..

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???