View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
love the evaro
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
do we think recharging the battery with an engine is a good idea?

How many folks will actually plug it in if you allow that?

How less efficient is it when you use gas to pump up the batteries to drive the motor?
The on board genet is something that can be an option when you buy the car, the main reason for the genset is that in real world driving an all electric car is some what useless with short range and having to plug it in before you make it to your destination, even thou the eVaro can do 120 miles on a charge it is not able to give us the freedom to go any where or as far as the gas powered car, With out that freedom the car is like any other electric car that limits us to short distances from home and long recharge times, With the on board genset it may only run 2% of most peoples drive time and will never leave you stranded or forced to plan short trips, Short range and long recharge times are what makes electric cars a real problem for most public acceptance, With out the genset, if I want to go on a trip that is only 90 miles from my home I would never get back home on a single charge so I would have to plan to recharge at my destination which would add another 9 hours to my trip as I wait for the car to recharge on a 110 plug, keep in mind not every where you want to go has recharge capabilities much less with 220 which will cut your recharge time in half, For now I think an electric car without on board recharge capabilities is more or les usless