View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
OfficeLinebacker
EcoModding Apprentice

Cool Rants & raves about how other drivers ruin it for us!

Hi. I just joined, very excited to find this place.

So anyway, my main focus at this time is aero enhancements for highway speeds, but I've been reading a lot in the driving techniques area and I think it would be fun to have a thread where we talk about common scenarios where other drivers ruin our little games.

As much as I'd like to use some choice words, let's refrain from offering our opinions as to the mental capacity of these other motorists--for all I know, the one who ruined it for me today was rushing to school after hearing her kid is sick. (that's one of my mental tricks for dealing with this, feel free to share).

Anyway, sometimes I am coming up to a traffic light on a multi-lane road and the light is red, but through shrewd observation of the cross signals and/or pedestrian signals, I realize that if I coast down a bit, I'll be able to catch the green while still going at a decent clip and not lose too much momentum! Those moments are the spice of life to me.

In this scenario, there is only one lane that's clear to do this--there is at least one car already at a dead stop in all the other lanes. So as I cruise up to this stoplight, already excited by the prospect of saving time & fuel, what happens but a car zooms ahead/around me to take my place at the front of the line? Of course, chances are, the kind of person who does that is also someone who does not watch the cross street signals to anticipate the light turning green, so there's also a significant pause once the light actually turns green, which basically results in my whole plan going up in smoke.

It's times like these when I wish I had a disintegration ray.

Please share your thoughts and/or your blueprints for said ray. Thank you.