View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #160 (permalink)
TechStuf

Quote:
The most important thing to consider about the turbulator is that there is something BEHIND it.

I see that there is something behind the technology, and size, shape and placement are key factors. Airtabs certainly aren't the end all be all of drag reduction nor is anyone claiming such to be the case. They are, however, a good start in the right direction. 4% or more is worth it to some, not to others.

http://airtab.com/en/Product_Applica...ickups_30.html

It seems pretty straightforward that structured airflow off the tailgate is better than having the airflow attach to the tailgate in the traditional chaotic manner with commensurate maximized drag losses. Also, considering the sizable pressure differential between the area just forward of the tailgate and center aft of the tailgate, I'm certain that there is much that could be gained by exploiting that difference. I am working now on a system which should generate a truly astonishing amount of energy from the pressure differentials otherwise being wasted on a vehicle moving at highway speeds. My test bed vehicle is an 89 Toyota xtra cab pickup.

Simply making a vehicle as slippery as humanly possible and calling it good is great for those who love the tradeoffs... and let's face it, land torpedoes are awesome eye candy! But there is also much (and this is an appreciable understatement) yet to be explored in the way of compromise between acceptable aerodynamics and energy capture.

TS

Last edited by TechStuf; 05-13-2010 at 07:53 PM..