View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Aerohead,

I'm happy to say that the up-sweep starts around the middle of the gas tank, right behind the front seats. It's a gradual up-sweep, gradually working its way from 0° to 7°, from 6" ground clearance to 10". I think this is an unconventionally good feature, and I hope it will allow me to have an unconventionally short boat tail.

I've added coroplast paneling to cover the rear axle, making a smooth transition from gas tank to spare tire box. There's still a lot of room for improvement under there, like in front of the gas tank, and around the exhaust. All four wheel wells are also wide open.

I'd offer my interpretation of the video, but I really want to hear from experienced tuft testers. I'm not sure that the 4° run was good, nor that the 13° run was bad. Tufts were lively in all runs, but not consistently attached or reversed in any of the runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverinsight2 View Post
May I suggest:
You mean to suggest strakes in my diffuser? Hmm. That led me to read an eng-tips forum post on diffusers. Diffusers reduce drag and lift relative to a flat underbody. 7-10° is recommended, at least in the context of race cars with low ground clearance, looking to maximize downforce.

Strakes? They're supposed to make the diffuser less sensitive to body pitch and probably crosswinds. Okay, they're easy enough to add on. I will run at least two strakes, in the form of deflectors behind my rear tires. Speaking of which, I couldn't tell from the video at what angle to install those deflectors. I guess I'll have to build a prototype and tuft-test it.