View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
First step is normally to have a site assessment done, we can speculate all we want here and would get some what accurate if we looked at your kwh per month use (not dollar amount) and your sun hours (hours of full sun per day) that you get, but someone who works in your area, has the info for your area and is looking at your house in person is going to give you 100% accurate info, we are not.
Werd, I'm planning to have a consultation with them but figured my very first step would be to ask around for others' opinions, to see if there are any good reasons not to even bother - so as to avoid taking a half day off work to meet with a consultant on their schedule (this particular company apparently doesn't do weekend/evening consultations, which is fine their employees deserve days off too)

My home is 2 story (among mostly single story neighbors) and gets 100% roof exposure at angles available to the sun from dawn to dusk. The overall size, orientation, amount of sun exposure, etc that my home gets is very similar to that of the ex coworker whose solar setup got me inspired... I use less electricity than him in general and pay a lower kWh fee (between 7 and 12 cents per kWh depending on time of year/day)

I know that folks on a forum can't give me a detailed breakdown of exactly what I'm going to pay, that's not what I'm looking for... just asking if there are any unforseen considerations to this because what it looks like is if the system costs $43 per month and offsets $44 per month worth of grid power, it's saved me a dollar no matter how you slice it. Is that correct?