View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I don't know about transportation, but the sterling has seen some use in solar power
The Energy Blog: About Dish/Engine Concentrating Solar Power

Also, not sure the volt will be at 40% once you get the power to the axles, I haven't seen anything but speculation there, and don't know of any super efficient CVTs for that matter.
I think that as a general talking point for heat engines,that folks are going to look at the efficiency available at the 'flywheel.'
At torgue-peak load and constant rpm,an IC gasoline can achieve 40% efficiency.
Honda will do this with the CVT 'throttling',leaving the engine alone,and GM will do,using the engine like an Onan generator exporting the power to a 98% efficient electric drive.A little worse if they have a single planetary gearset.
These throttling-losses are the reason I make such a big deal about traffic signals.With synchronized lights you blow through town with your engine running at a constant rpm,geared for it's BSFC sweet-spot.
I've seen very small-scale Stirling solar applications but I think the big boys are going with oil-filled concentrating-tracking-parabolic collectors to make steam for turbo-generators.Compound-turbines are very efficient.