View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
sallen
EcoModding Lurker

VW GOLF - '96 Volkwagen Golf MK3 GL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 50.21 mpg (US)

Commute scoot - '95 Suzuki AE50 Style
Last 3: 70.4 mpg (US)

The German - '99 Mercedes W202 C200 Classic
90 day: 27.65 mpg (US)
Hey dude,

Welcome to the AAZ engine fraternity. I have the same 1.9L Turbo unit in my Golf III.

I can say that (for the Golf) it is the most thirsty and least powerful Turbo Diesel Engine VW ever fitted to the car. I get low to mid 40's (UK MPG) if driven "normally" and slightly higher with granny driving and excessive coasting.

The AAZ has an upside in that it's mechanical injection, so easier to fix. Having no ECU the fancy OBDII port VW probably fitted to your car won't be connected to anything (just like mine).

Another upside is that it LOVES bio-diesel and will run happily on B100 until it gets real cold (-4 or so).

I guess in the Polo you should be seeing high 40's (UK MPG) or maybe 50's from the beginning as you have less weight and frontal area to slow you down. There is also a better choice of narrow tyres for the Polo as standard.

Just think aero mods and driving like your grandma and you should see results. I've got a few more MPG's out of my Golf that way.

If you don't want to go too eco, it's pretty easy to up the change the fuel pin and up the boost to see extra power on these engines. Don't know what the MPG's will be like but it will smoke like hell and go a bit more like a TDI.

I'l definitely keep an eye on this thread in case you think of anything I've missed on the Golf.

Good luck with the build...

Will you recoup money spent on mods in fuel saved? see my spreadsheets here