View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 01:43 AM   #162 (permalink)
swede
Aero Apprentice

In response to the conversation above regarding vortex generators on passenger vehicles.....

While I make no claims to being as knowledgeable as some of the senior members here, I can say with confidence that the first law of thermodynamics applies especially when considering road-going vehicles. If there was a way to create a vehicle that demonstrated over-unity characteristics with regards to energy in vs energy out i am sure that it would have made it's way onto this forum of all places and been tested ad nauseum.

I can however attest to the simple effects of a few simple aerodynamic improvements and the gains in efficiency that can seen. Vehicle manufacturers have little choice but to cater to the customer's demands when it comes to the styling cues that denote a vehicle as the "new" model. This more often than not leads to less than ideal aerodynamic and efficiency numbers.

Thankfully this gives us here a lot to work with and improve upon. I would feel very satisfied if I owned a vehicle that was ideal in all aspects, but alas, I fear that will never be the case in my lifetime, unless I do the work myself.

Swede
2009 GMC Sierra 27us/mpg best yet (still workin on it)