View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maestro
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
"but my car needs restriction to run correctly!" is BS created by people who can't read and don't understand math.
Wow. What an incredibly rude thing to say. I guess that will teach me to join a forum and try to be helpful. Thank you sir, for putting me in my place. Fortunately though, I can read and do understand math, so I guess that BS was created by someone else, not me. Your car does not technically need restriction to run "correctly", but it does need restriction to run controllably. Take off your throttle body and see how you do.

I stand by my original post, as well as my decision to largely ignore intake harmonics and focus on explaining total restriction. Intake harmonics are important for performance and can alter throttle position at a given load just as overall reductions in restriction can, however this falls right back into what I said before; if you improve harmonics at a certain load, you've just increased the average pressure outside the intake valve, and you'll just have to decrease throttle position to stay down to the same load you were at previously. You have not helped economy, only performance. Consider the fact that, ultimately, pumping losses are essentially created on the face of the piston, and the only way to alter this loss is to alter the pressure on the face of the piston. To do this, you must affect the amount of FA mixture entering the chamber, and it does not matter to your MPG meter whether this is done through harmonics or restriction, the effect is the same; pulse pressure at the intake valve is varied, and you have to ignite either a denser or thinner FA charge.

Since the majority of the people here are building for economy, not performance, I would say that most can ignore intake harmonics. Economy-wise, intake temperature can help, and realistically, that's it. The physics do not support anything else. A large increase in total intake restriction or alteration in the throttle cable-cam may also help by decreasing accelerator sensitivity, but this would be more an alteration to the driver than the engine.