View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crono
EcoModding Lurker

Pizza Geo - '92 Geo Metro
Last 3: 47.52 mpg (US)

Blazing Glory - '07 Yamaha C3
90 day: 108.96 mpg (US)

The Beast - '86 Pontiac Subird
90 day: 15.6 mpg (US)

Mom's Firefly - '92 Pontiac Firefly
90 day: 35.65 mpg (US)

Noris - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Mirage - '15 Mitsubishi Mirage
90 day: 48.11 mpg (US)

Japan - '08 Suzuki Alto
90 day: 45.88 mpg (US)
Exclamation Muffler needs replacing - anything in particular I should go for? ('92 Metro)

I did notice another post in here regarding something vaguely similar, but my question is a little simpler - I need to replace my muffler pretty soon and I'm wondering if just a plain old regular muffler is good? I drive a '92 Geo Metro with the xfi cam mod, but other than that it's mostly normal. (3 cylinder) I don't know if it's just me, but I've noticed with these cars that the low-end torque really goes down the tubes when the muffler is no good, and, consequently my mileage seems to go down as well.

I dunno, maybe it's just my imagination but that's how it seems.

Anyway - is there any definitive evidence showing that the type of muffler I get is going to be making a big difference? Most of what I see regarding mufflers and fuel economy is either fairly speculative or situational. (IE If you are driving a big block V8, then it's a good idea). I'm also thinking that, if it's a couple hundred bucks extra for a marginal or possible improvement, it's probably not worth it either.

Still, since I don't exactly replace my muffler annually, I figured I should check with you guys before I go out and do it.