View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Dude, but many of us here try to quantify our mods, though outside of a windtunnel it's only an approximation, as Neil noted. Look and ye shall find. There are a few how-to threads, calculators and spreadsheets on coastdown and rolldown testing. Also, many members have included results in their modding threads (MetroMPG's cardboard boattail is good for a 15% reduction). In some cases it's easier to test the reduction in fuel consumption, which is usually about twice the Cd reduction (very ballpark here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldudenumber5 View Post
to see what each mod or collection of mods actually decreases the CD by. i was curious if we could attach a reduction number to say" adding a front air dam reduces CD by .2 on average"
It's impossible to say that "such-and-such mod reduces Cd by 0.02". At best, you can put it in %, but beware that this may not always be true. Every car is different, so the same mod (airdam, bellypan, wheelskirts, etc.) on different cars may have a totally different effect. It also depends on other mods, for example MetroMPG noticed while testing the cardboard boattail that it behaves differently depending on whether he had a bellypan or not, similarly whether the side mirror was folded or unfolded, etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a good coastdown session takes lots of time, so noone wants to test each individual mod and configuration separately.

EDIT: I see Wyatt posted first
I'll add that my rear wheel skirts + 45cm (18") Kammback reduced my Cd from 0.334 to 0.324 (only about 3%), with fuel consuption reduction around 7% @ 70km/h and 8% @ 100km/h. The testing was in less than ideal conditions, I'm still looking for a better place (straight and flat for 4-5km with no traffic).

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 05-19-2010 at 01:04 PM..