View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Got pics of the Volvo or Probe IV airdam? I'm not familiar, so will Google for those. Thanks.

For around town driveability and speed bump/curb issues, I've wondered about inflatable or ramair actuated devices, including splitter or air dam, side skirts, etc.. That way, no deployment until highway speed. A simple electromagnetic deployment would work, if you do not forget to retract.
Otto,I think I've got images of both,but it may be Saturday before I can get Al to post them.I'm months behind on images.
On the deployment issue,seems like any cruise-control logic/sensor technology would dovetail right in.
A 'speed' preset enables or disables a solenoid,air ram,hydraulic ram,servo motor cable winch,ad infinitum,to lower and raise the unit.
Also,electronic ranging,as on any digital camera system could be hijacked to provide a 'forward-looking' hazard avoidance provision,should you drive up onto road debris,road-kill,etc.,especially after dark,when the event-horizon is really brief before 'contact.'
Something else to consider,and I think we kicked this one around before,is that whatever you construct,make it really low mass so if it has to 'move in a hurry' it won't get bogged down with inertial forces.This is where carbon composite would shine.Model airplane technology would give the low mass,but stone-toss from a car ahead could spell doom for the light skin.
An inflated structure might have to have vacuum available for quick-collapsing.